Our school was originally founded in 1915, and named after John D. Wells, a prominent local minister (at the First Presbyterian Church, which still stands, two blocks away from our school), and longtime community member. We are located in the Southside of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. This is a diverse community, part of Brooklyn Community Board 1 and NYC Council District 34.
In 2014, El Puente, a community human rights institution that promotes leadership for peace and justice through the holistic development and engagement of youth and adult members, saw Mayor de Blasio’s Community Schools Initiative as the opportunity to unite students, families, school staff and community members to create and lead a new future for MS 50. As result of El Puente and MS 50’s partnership there’s been a tremendous growth in enrollment, attendance, academic achievement and nearly every measure of school success. Please see our “In the News” page to read the latest stories of our success.